Tuesday, April 14, 2009

BPW/USA Email Does Not Sway Local President Elect

Today, we all received an email from BPW-USA with regard to voting process. This email again explained why they want us to vote "Yes":

"A Plan of Merger was approved by the BPW/USA Board of Directors and the BPW Foundation Board of Trustees. Adoption of the Plan of Merger ensures continuation of the BPW/USA mission, heritage and legacy through BPW Foundation. A “yes” vote for the Plan of Merger allows for the continuation of BPW/USA’s mission. Members will have the opportunity to work with their State and Local Organization leadership in choosing to enter into a license agreement with BPW Foundation. A “no” vote for the Plan of Merger will eliminate any and all opportunity of choice and ultimately means dissolution of BPW/USA and our mission. Choosing to merge and choosing to enter into a license agreement with BPW Foundation are two separate decisions with the license agreement decision to be made at a later date by the State Federations and/or Local Organizations."

As incoming President for Sedalia BPW, I want to share my viewpoint. I have been a member of Sedalia BPW since 2003. I have always thought that the National dues were too high. Each year, the amount of the dues made me question my renewal in BPW. The fact that the officers of BPW/USA were not good stewards of our dues and have financially ruined the national organization just infuriates me. And the fact that these officers will stay with BPW and now become Trustees of the new BPW Foundation tells me that I do not want to vote for this merger. Another reason I will not vote for the merger was the announcement by the BPW Foundation that they would not be giving any national scholarships because they had given $500,000 to the BPW/USA to help them pay their bills. I thought the money that had been donated to the Foundation was to be used for charitable purposes. How is helping BPW/USA stay afloat a charitable purpose?

I will not vote for the merger. Sedalia BPW can stand on its own or with the Missouri BPW in the event they do not approve the merger. We can, and will, continue to empower workingwomen to achieve their full potential!

Dianne Simon
President Elect
Sedalia, BPW

No comments: