Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Linda Fisher's Opinion of State Presidents Urge Members to Vote for Merger

I just received an email letter from our State President urging Missouri BPW Members to vote for the merger. I have asked permission to print her letter on the Blog in fairness to those who think merger is our best option. If I receive permission, I will post President Sharon's letter.

Meanwhile, I'll post my opinion of the urge to vote "Yes".

BPW/USA needs 2/3 vote of the members to merge or they will go bankrupt or dissolve. (Same story). BPW/USA’s approach now is to urge everyone to vote for the merger regardless of whether they plan to remain in BPW and pay the fee or disenfranchise from BPW. They are asking this as a favor for those states who want to remain in BPW.

The following is my opinion of BPW/USA’s arguments that we should vote for the merger:

1. To be a BPW member, you still have to pay the $40 licensing fee.
2. BPW members are voting to never vote again. The ones that stay in BPW are non-voting members with no say.
3. The only concession BPW/USA makes for student members is for the ones who were members as of June 30.
4. Don't you just love it that the states that have foundations can change their name with their Secretary of State?
5. National still isn't going to be doing anything to earn their license fee--and what happens when they lose half of their members and go belly up in a few years? Then, BPW will certainly cease to exist at all levels just as BPW/USA predicted.

This is just my first impressions of our voting instructions to vote to keep a portion of BPW rather standing up for states and locals to keep the BPW name. My opinion is that the merger will destroy BPW. When states and locals split off and rename or reorganize, BPW falls. What happens to our name then?

Linda Fisher
Membership Chair
Sedalia MO BPW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see Nationals treasure report! Can we email that out? I want to see how the money has been spent and if it has been wasted or even where it went. Can someone please send it to all BPW members?